Our Learning Heroes
Our Learning Heroes
At Manor Infant and Nursery School, we believe that learning is lifelong and is the right of every person. We are all learners every day of our lives.
We believe children are not born with a fixed level of ability in any area but that ability can be developed with the help of a set of life skills and in understanding the way in which they learn best.
We aim to teach children these life skills based on an approach known as ‘Building Learning Power’. This is made up of 4 key skills: resilience, reciprocity (collaboration), resourcefulness and reflectiveness.
We firmly believe that these skills are not fixed at birth, or on leaving school, but can be developed by everyone, regardless of ability, social background or age.
At Manor Infant and Nursery School, we teach these life skills through the use of learning heroes which the children can identify with.
Our learning heroes are;
Determined Darby (Emperor Penguin) – resilience
Collaborative Costa (Orca) – collaboration
Resourceful Renny (Octopus) - resourcefulness
Thoughtful Thornley (Polar bear) – reflectiveness
The learning heroes are shared with the children through use of puppets, stories and real life situations. They will motivate and inspire our children to develop the skills required to become responsible and successful adults.
To make sure the children fully understand the learning heroes and their skills, we;
* Refer to them daily in all areas of school life from Nursery through to Year 2.
* Hold weekly assemblies (led by the Deputy Headteacher) to talk about the skills and celebrate where children have shown these learning behaviours.
* Award stickers in classes for children who show the learning behaviours.
* Hold workshops (run by Deputy Headteacher) for parents and carers in each year group to share an understanding of the importance of promoting these learning behaviours at home.
* Send certificates home for parents and cares to recognise and award these life skills and learning behaviours when shown at home.
We believe that how well you learn any skill in life is not a matter of how intelligent you are, it is a matter of experience, practise and being helped to understand the way you learn best.
Learning to learn can be developed by everyone. There are no limits.
Our friendly learning heroes ensure that learners at Manor are respectful, resilient and happy.
The language we use to explain each learning hero;
Determined Darby – ‘I never give up’
Collaborative Costa – ‘I work with other people’
Resourceful Renny – ‘I use everything and everyone to help me’
Thoughtful Thornley – ‘I know it’s good to make mistakes’
If you have any questions about our learning heroes and the life skills they promote, please contact Mrs Cornish (Deputy Headteacher) who will be happy to talk to you further about them.